1. Locally-owned restaurant gift certificates – Skip the chain gang this year and get someone you know hooked on your favorite locally owned restaurant. You’ll be helping to ensure it stays in business so it’s a win-win-win. This year, mine will come from Happy Days Ice Cream Parlor and Roma’s Pizza in Bloomingdale. Be sure to call ahead to make sure they can have them available for you when you come in.
2. Two Smart Cookies – slide one of these adorable iced cut-out cookies into a cellophane baggie, tie a ribbon on it and declare it the perfect small treat for someone special.
3. FORM cheesecake – Order well ahead to choose your own flavor and size. Gingerbread-Eggnog or Chai tea are ideal for winter.
4. Leocci’s Fine Foods – An old-fashioned home cook will appreciate the canned beets and jams while the modern foodies on your list will be in awe of the house-made duck proscuitto and pancetta.
5. River Street Sweets or Savannah Candy Kitchen Pralines – Remember the individually wrapped pralines are made to last longer (as long as the recipient can resist them, that is), so they make a better gift than the ones behind the glass case.
6. Butterducks Winery – Savannah’s only local winery is located in Guyton but is also sold in several Savannah beverage stores. Try one of their popular fruity dessert wines.
7. Chocolat by Adam Turoni – These tiny works of art are THE gift for the person who has everything. Premium ingredients such as gold leaf, silver dust and cognac ensure that every bite is amazing. Try the raspberry chambord truffle which looks like a beautifully wrapped gift.
8. Lulu’s Chocolate Bar – Pre-order (by at least three days) their decadent cakes and pick it up at their second location on Hodgson Memorial. Try Pineapple Coconut or Spice Cake with Maple Pecan Icing. Bring a Lulucake to a party and it will be the star.
9. Low Country Gourmet Vinegars – The balsamic vinegar is more of a sweet-ish vinegar reduction so it’s perfect for finishing uses, dipping bread and on salads. Choose from dozens of varieties such as cinnamon-pear balsamic (over ice cream!) or dark chocolate balsamic (over strawberries!). Sample sized bottles would be charming in a gift basket or buy a large bottle, put a bow on it and call it a day!
10. Byrd Cookies – These powdery little cookies are bursting with flavor and are available in holiday-themed tins so you don’t even have to wrap them! Time-saver!
11. Savannah Bee Company – The gorgeous wine-shaped bottle makes is a great hostess gift. Try the tupelo honey which can only be made from this Southeastern swamp tree.
12. Pie Society – These authentic British baked goods would warm the heart and belly of even Ebenezer Scrooge himself. Christmas pudding, fruit cake, mince pies, treacle tart (Harry Potter’s fave!) and bread pudding of course, but try their savory pies too! I can almost hear Tiny Tim saying, “God bless us every one!”
Eat It and Like It